Date:      Sun, 1 Mar 1998 12:59:33 +0100
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
To:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   timeout when formatting 9GB Barracuda, scsi errors is missing time

Hi !

Encountered two problems with -current, which might be in -STABLE
as well:

a) scsiformat returned an timeout, when I formatted a Seagate
   Barracuda. I don't know exactly, but it lasts a very long
   time to preformat this beast.
   Using scsiformat I wasn't able to preformat it.
   I had to use Adaptecs scsiformat tool from DOS.

b) Tonight the Barracuda got some things to do, a make release ...

sd3: RECOVERED ERROR info:0x3900a7 asc:17,2 Recovered data with positive head offset field replaceable unit: ea sks:80,c
, retries:4
sd3: RECOVERED ERROR info:0x3900a7 asc:17,2 Recovered data with positive head offset field replaceable unit: ea sks:80,c
, retries:3
sd3: RECOVERED ERROR info:0x3900a7 asc:17,2 Recovered data with positive head offset field replaceable unit: ea sks:80,c
, retries:2
sd3: RECOVERED ERROR info:0x3900a7 asc:18,1
sd3:  Recovered data with error correction & retries applied field replaceable unit: ea sks:80,4
, retries:1
sd3: RECOVERED ERROR info:0x3900a7 asc:17,2 Recovered data with positive head offset field replaceable unit: ea sks:80,c
, FAILURE
sd3: RECOVERED ERROR info:0x3900a7 asc:17,2 Recovered data with positive head offset field replaceable unit: ea sks:80,c

  What's the exact meaning of these messages ? I think the harddisk
  has discovered a bad sector or such and repaired it ... Or what
  do you think ? What is asc: 17,2 ???

  And here a suggestion from me ... would it be possible, that such
  SCSI messages get a "date stamp" ?!

  If there are fixes possible, might they go into -STABLE as well
  before we release it ?

	Andreas ///

--
Andreas Klemm