Date:      Tue, 3 Mar 1998 02:10:13 -0800
From:      Josef Grosch <jgrosch@superior.mooseriver.com>
To:        Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
Cc:        allen campbell <allenc@verinet.com>, grog@lemis.com, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG

On Tue, Mar 03, 1998 at 01:04:34AM -0800, Annelise Anderson wrote:

> On Mon, 2 Mar 1998, allen campbell wrote:
>

> > IMHO, HTML is the best choice for this documentation.  HTML is
>
> I think HTML is great for reading on the screen (with Netscape or
> Internet Explorer) and printing.  But the handbook comes in 340 or so
> HTML pieces.  It is in this condition useless to me, although I know
> other people like this sort of thing.  So I usually read a latin1
> version with "less," if there's something I need to look at.
>
> John Fieber suggested once breaking the handbook into chapters (he
> had 22 sections; 6 or 8 appealed to me) but the chapters were
> available only on his server.
>
> I printed out the copy of the handbook that came with 2.0.5 (it was
> ascii and had no control codes like ^H in it) using a little dos
> program called pcbook.exe.  This is one of those programs that makes
> booklets; you take the paper out of the Laserjet and turn it over and
> print the other sides, and then fold it, and it gets the page numbers
> right.  Actually I still use this version of the handbook because it's
> convenient, even though it's out of date.

[ DELETED ]

It is in fact very easy to produce a postscript version of either the FAQ
or the handbook. Just cd in the directory with the sgml source and

    sgmlfmt -f ps [handbook|FAQ].sgml

And out comes a postscript file. When I print a copy of the handbook I go
looking for a HP laser printer that can print on both sides. It's really
nice if you have a pack of pre-drilled laser paper.

Josef "Killing trees" Grosch

--
Josef Grosch           | Another day closer to a |    FreeBSD 2.2.5
jgrosch@MooseRiver.com |   Micro$oft free world  | UNIX for the masses