Date:      Tue, 3 Mar 1998 09:39:23 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.0-RELEASE?

On Mon, Mar 02, 1998 at 11:34:26PM -0800, Amancio Hasty wrote:
> Well, if you do rename  3.0 to 2.3 I bet that their will be lots of
> comments --- till then I don't think people really care .
>
> I think is a good idea to rename a 3.0 snapshot to 2.3 and stabilize
> cause 3.0 has such a bad reputation actually it is more of symbol
> for fear 8)

I'm somewhat frightened at the versioning issue - <osreldate.h> is
clearly marked with 3.0 vs 2.2, and renaming would introduce
incompatibilities.  This is more of Satoshi's area, though.

Given the currently lacking kernel versioning (a major frustration for
me and others that maintain stuff outside FreeBSD proper - I'd like to
fetch the number for osreldate from <sys/param.h> and be done with it)
the issue is only a userland issue, and smaller than it could be.

Eivind.