Date:      Tue, 3 Mar 1998 10:03:27 +0100
From:      Philippe Regnauld <regnauld@deepo.prosa.dk>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   CCD & booting on /

Stop me when I'm falling over the edge :-)

I'm interested in getting a machine with having every partition
as a CCD mirror -- including /.

I'm aware of the usual problem of having / as a ccd: the bootblocks
won't be able to read the partition, etc...

But I remember, on one setup using _mirroring_ (and only in that
case of course) where one of the disks died, I just rebooted
single user on the remaining disk, changed the ccdconfig
line to remove the defective disk, and ran ccdconfig with the same
options -- and I was up and running again, with a 1-sided mirror :-)

My question is: is there no workaround/unspeakable hack that
could be made, with CCD in the kernel,  for the bootblocks to read
from the first of an N-part mirror, just to get past the boot ?

Yeah, I could of course have / = 2 MB and symlink everything
somewhere else :-P

--
                                            -[ Philippe Regnauld / Sysadmin ]-