Date:      Thu, 19 Mar 1998 16:37:15 +1100
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        John Kenagy <jktheowl@bga.com>
Cc:        Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: doc "renovation" project volunteer

On Wed, Mar 18, 1998 at 10:58:34PM -0600, John Kenagy wrote:

> A vision of where this is to go and an overall collaborative authority
> are necessary for success. Shall we talk about this?
>
> The documents must deal first and foremost with the needs of a new user.
> One who does not know much other that they want to try FreeBSD. The
> documentation as it stands now did not help me when I started  with
> 2.1.5 (downloaded and installed from dos partition).

A new mailing list has just been started for newbies. While the
documentation project is important, it is at least as important that
freebsd-newbies list be seen as something _for_ newbies to enjoy rather than
something to keep them either out of the way or doing useful work.

Having said that, I think that as a newbie I can draw on some of its members
to provide a willing documentation readership to give you experts some
feedback, so long as it doesn't overrun the newbies list in its formative
stages. We're an extremely sensitive lot and easily misinterpret.

I have volunteered before to review any documentation that is offered, but
it would be even better to have more than one newbie perspective. What I
propose is to announce in freebsd-newbies when specific help is required,
coordinate that help, and report back here. On the flip side, if newbies say
they're wanting something in particular in the way of docs I can gather
their thoughts together, present them here, and report back to -newbies.
That way you don't get bored or annoyed by incompetence and they don't get
made to feel small or under scrutiny. Of course this doesn't preclude any
other methods, but provides a workable structure.

> Thanks to everyone who is participating in this.

Too rite!! It feels like we're all coming together at last.

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-

find / -name "*.conf" |more