Date:      Tue, 31 Mar 1998 23:14:45 +0400
From:      Alexandre Snarskii <snar@paranoia.ru>
To:        andreas@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how to write something onto a pager when a snmp trap occurrs ?

On Tue, Mar 31, 1998 at 08:07:36AM +0200, Andreas Klemm wrote:
> Hi !

Hi!
There is not an answer to your question - that is rather
a little announce :)

> I want to inform people with a pager if a race condition
> occurrs. Network or machine down, disk full and such things.

I'm using my handwritten hqmon monitoring system and
qpage-based gate to paging provider. The system monitors:
cisco routers ( is they up or down, cpu usage and amount of a free
memory ), leased channels to my providers and downlinks,
BGP sessions with providers ( all of those through SNMPv1,
based on UCD-SNMP library), most of my services ( SMTP, SNPP,
DNS, WWW, Web-cache ( you can write tcp-chats to monitor any
plain tcp protocols also )). Local machines LA monitoring based
on /var/rwho/whod.machine information, and for remote machines
you can use hqdaemon - program, which runs from inetd and can
tell with "propiertary" :) protocol is everything ok with
LA and disk space. And the last feature - you can run
your own scripts, and analyse their return code to know,
is everything ok.
The system writes the system state in the three plain files,
which are:
problems.txt - containing the information about the things,
which considered to be really a problem ( f.e. if i get
the SMTP server, which refused connection once - there is
not a "problem" - just a warning state, but if it refuses
connections three minutes in a row - that is. )
flaps.txt - contains informaion of all things which in a
problem or in a warning state
status.txt - status information about all monitored objects.
Also, there are two log-files - outages.list - which is
a log of problems, and debug.txt - for debugging output.

If anyone interested - you can download it from
ftp://ftp.lexa.ru/pub/domestic/snar/hqmon*gz,
online documentation is available on http://www.lexa.ru/snar/hqmon/
but, the big disfeature of the system is that documented
on Russian language. Anyway, the configuration
file and installation istructions commented on english, and you
can ask me for help.

I should be really pleasured if anyone in that mailing-list
who know Russian and English helps me to translate that documentation
( my English is really bad to write documentation on English :( )

--
Alexandre Snarskii
the source code is included