Date:      Wed, 22 Apr 1998 08:11:17 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        FreeBSD-Newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: #freebsd-newbies

>Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 19:20:30 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Pauper <pauper_i@yahoo.com>

>   been a lot of chat about a new channel....

:-}

>   I would agree with Sue in that the channel, as a help channel,
>wouldn't be too helpful - the blind leading the blind so to speak,
>unless some more experienced users could be persuaded to devote some
>of their time to staffing it.

I agree with that point.

As someone who is relatively new to FreeBSD (per se), but familiar with
UNIX, and whose job is administering UNIX (mostly FreeBSD) boxen, I
confess that it had never occurred to me that IRC might be used for
assistance.

Granted, I still tend to think of IRC as a fad (I expect I'm disclosing
information about how long I've been in the field...).  And I admit that
the only time I've ever done anything with IRC is when my niece was
visiting our home, and she wanted access to IRC, so I found a
likely-looking IRC client, FTPd it over to the Sun 3/60, configured it,
built it, installed it, and it seemed to run OK.  She used it, not
me....  :-)  [Persuading her to exit the xterms, rather than merely
closing the windows, was a losing battle, though -- and it rather
confused things for the next couple of weeks, when a pty would be
allocated for a "new" xterm, and it turned out that she still had
the IRC client running in it....  Took a while to figure out what
was going on; after than, judicious use of the "kill" command proved
quite useful.]

More to the point:  I cannot conceive of ever having the time to
actually use IRC for anything -- I deal with well in excess of 100 email
messages/day (and that's reduced as far as it is largely because I
subscribed to freebsd-questions-digest, rather than freebsd-questions)
at work, as well as about half that at home.  (And at home I don't have
access to FreeBSD.)  And I have a few other things to deal with, as
well....

>Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 21:22:41 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Ben Manes <anarchy@crl.com>

>Here's the real problem, who (with expreience) will sit around and answer
>all these questions....

>As people have noted, freebsd-questions and -hackers wont
>answer simple questions....

I subscribe to -questions-digest & to -hackers.  I have seen answers to
simple questions that are posed to -questions answered.

Sometimes the initial answers are things like "we need to see
information X in order to provide a more useful answer" -- but I've even
seen questions answered there where the question, as posed, was
something I just couldn't understand.

-hackers, of course, is less receptive to beginners' questions.

That said, I've posed questions (to -questions), and sometimes I get an
answer; sometimes I don't.  One particular case involved asking how to
get at a particular "struct" (so I could write some code to display the
mount options that were actually in use, vs. what I *thought* I had
specified) -- never got a response at all on that one.  On the other
hand, I did get some hints in response to another (re: avoiding NFS V3,
as well as avoiding "loop-back" NFS mounts), and I was able to work
some things out, so I sent a note back to -questions indicating the
resolution to (what I perceived as) my problem.

david
--
David Wolfskill		dhw@whistle.com	(650) 577-7158	pager: (650) 401-0168