Date:      Fri, 24 Apr 1998 09:49:53 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Disappearing keyboard

[ xdm in /etc/ttys ]

> >> Why?  It's always worked just great for me and I've had it like
> >> this for over 3 years.
> >
> > "Because if your X server crashes it just loops forever"
> >
> > At least that's the pathetic excuse that I've heard most often.
>
> Is this pathetic, even if it's strictly not true?

It's pathetic, since if you use xdm, it'll loop forever no matter where
it's started from.  The only thing that will cause you a minor bit of
trouble is if xdm fails, it'll loop about 5 times, then init will give
up trying and dump a message to the screen.  However, if you start it
from /etc/rc.local, it'll only try once.

> I think we're on the wrong forum here to understand why it's evil.  I
> suggested it in "Installing and Running FreeBSD", and Jörg came down
> on me and pointed out this problem.

Joerg didn't fully understand the issues.  It's perfectly safe to put in
/etc/ttys.  Matter of fact, I (and Mike) suggest that it's still the
'correct' place to put it.

Nate