Date:      Sat, 2 May 1998 14:13:52 +1000 (EST)
From:      John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
To:        chuckr@glue.umd.edu (Chuck Robey)
Cc:        jb@cimlogic.com.au, jkh@time.cdrom.com, FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: groff/devascii

Chuck Robey wrote:
> If it is, could you give me a guess as to why it would been seen in a
> buildworld, but not in a make from gnu/usr.bin/groff?  That's the part
> that I found confusing.

buildworld builds things into /usr/obj/usr/src/tmp and executes them
for the rest of the build. Only when all things have been built using
the new tools does it remove DESTDIR and allow programs to get installed
in /usr/bin etc. When you did a make from gnu/usr.bin/groff, I bet you
didn't set DESTDIR to /usr/obj/usr/src/tmp, so you were using the
old (= working) version of bc. If you had done a 'make all && make
install' in src/gnu/usr.bin/bc, then groff/devascii would have failed.

This is an example of what is good about the build process. It doesn't
clobber anything if the buildworld fails.

The problem here, though, is that the changes to bc were obviously
committed without the developer doing a make world.

--
John Birrell - jb@cimlogic.com.au; jb@freebsd.org http://www.cimlogic.com.au/
CIMlogic Pty Ltd, GPO Box 117A, Melbourne Vic 3001, Australia +61 418 353 137