Date:      Sat, 16 May 1998 23:12:20 +1000
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        nik@iii.co.uk
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: newbies resources page

On Fri, May 15, 1998 at 09:48:48AM +0100, nik@iii.co.uk wrote:
> [ I'm going to cc: this to -doc, since it's probably useful for others
>   as well ]

Hey Nik, thanks, this is great!

> On Fri, May 15, 1998 at 06:33:50AM +1000, Sue Blake wrote:
> > OK, well here's where I'd got to already, without actually knowing SGML.
> > With much determination I found a bunch of likely-looking files at
> > ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-current/www/data/ and grabbed a
> > few examples plus anything I didn't recognise as a web page.
> >
> > It looks like the first ten and last four lines are the same in each
> > file.
>
> <snip>
>
> OK. Conceptually, this is how it works.
>
> Each page is an amalgamation of data from at least two sources.

That all made good sense. Just a couple more things to check...

> Looking at newbies.sgml from the top down:
>
>   <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 3.2//EN" [

So we don't have to bother with HTML4 yet?

>   <!-- $Id$ -->
>
> is another RCS tag. This will expand to the ID of this file (it's name,
> when it was last edited, who by and so on) and be placed in an SGML comment
> when the file is checked in.

>        &header;
>
> This is the standard beginning of an HTML document. We then include the
> &header; entity.

So why isn't the <html> included in the &header; entity as well?

> Lower case I explained above. I did change the list items. You had

> which is probably valid HTML, but isn't 'clean', so I changed it to

That's what I was thinking, but it was in whatever I was using as a model
and I couldn't provide any serious reasons against it so it stayed.
Thanks for clarifying.

> > The main problem that I have so far is that there's no way to see
> > what it looks like and check the links when I'm finished, except for
> > using a bit of imagination and lots of carefull eyeballing or modifying
> > the file slightly to display it in a web browser.

I knew it was time to stop asking questions, I just knew it...

> For this you can use CVSup

Oh no! Another thing to learn! :-)

> to download the entire web site. This includes
> a 'Makefile' which you can use to turn individual pages into HTML with
>
>     % make newbies.html
>
> or use it to build a local copy of the entire site with
>
>     % make

OK, but I haven't got space for it right now. I will learn about CVSup
when there's more space here, honest :-)

Oh, another thing. What happens if someone does something that's hideous,
or that just wouldn't be right on the web site. How is that dealt with?

> Hope that helps,

Yep, the puzzle's really coming together! For others too, I hope.

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-