Date:      Mon, 18 May 1998 15:23:50 +0200
From:      Philippe Regnauld <regnauld@deepo.prosa.dk>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATAPI CDDA Extraction under FreeBSD

Luigi Rizzo writes:
> > > Have you looked at the patches Luigi made back in january ??
> >
> > Interesting this should come up now - I picked up Luigi's patches
>
>    reading. I don't have a precise algorithm to do this, but tosha does
>    not implement it. Probably Charles Herrich's "cdd" program does a
>    good job on this.

	[to Dag-Erling and Luigi]

	Both right:

	1) Tosha does not do jitter (but then again, Tosha is alpha software
	as Oliver says), but is way faster on multiple speed CD players
	2) cdd does a very reliable job, but never does better
	than 2x on my 12x Sony.

	I've made dumps of the same tracks using Tosha and CDD,
	and a simple cmp of the file shows them different (around
	halfway).  This is usually inaudible on "good" CD's,
	but a scratched CD will definitely give you trouble.

	YMMV.

--
 -[ Philippe Regnauld / sysadmin / regnauld@deepo.prosa.dk / +55.4N +11.3E ]-
     «Pluto placed his bad dog at the entrance of Hades to keep the dead