Date:      Wed, 27 May 1998 14:40:26 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        julian@whistle.com (Julian Elischer)
Cc:        marc@hippocampus.net, freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: LCDs...

> we use com2 with a propritary LCD controler/keyboard
> I say some advertised recently however that are generally available.

You could also drive the parallel connection on Optrex style
controllers through the parallel port.

We use the I2C bus using the access.bus physical TELCO jack pinout
for this because these LCDs and buttons eventually run on
microcontrollers.  I like this - it daisy chains well so you can
have a button module and a display module and click them together.

Check the back of the mag "Circuit Cellar INK The Computer Applications
Journal" (circuitcellar.com) for some RS232 displays I know absolutely
nothing about (www.matrix-orbital.com).

Peter

--
Peter Dufault (dufault@hda.com)   Realtime development, Machine control,
HD Associates, Inc.               Safety critical systems, Agency approval