Date:      Thu, 28 May 1998 15:15:44 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.org>
To:        eivind@yes.no
Cc:        rnordier@nordier.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fix for undefined "__error" and discussion of shared object versioning

>> My own concern would be the amount of code in third-party programs
>> that uses gccisms.  I guess I don't see why we're looking to change.
> Well, here are a couple of points:
> * License

I'll assume that TenDRA and XANDF are both BSD-license?

> * General quality of system (GCC is written under the paradigm 'learn
>      writing compilers as we go')

I can't comment on that one, not having examined the source code to
the various compilers.  But are the others written by professional
compiler writers?

> * Possibilities for exploiting the cross-CPU nature of XANDF

How are XANDF's cross-cpu capabilities more powerful than gcc's?

> * Better error checking/control

How do you mean?

> * Choice (by being able to be compiled with more than one compiler)

I'm definately in agreement on this point.  I don't like to be boxed
in to *any* software, be it M$, GNU, or BSD.

Is the OS compilable with pcc?

> They might not be enough to be persuative, but they are at least in
> favour.

Okay.  I'm not familiar enough with the compilers' specs, features, and
limitations to make a judgement.  So for now I'll gather information
before I cast a vote.

Best,
joelh

--