Date:      Fri, 5 Jun 1998 20:34:27 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Remote device multiplexing

Amancio Hasty:
 |Sleep mode for Fxtv ?
 |
 |Just want to wakeup fxtv via my x10 remote control -- kind of like
 |a turn tv on remote control well coming to think about it
 |thats precisely what I want a "turn on tv x10 remote control command".

Yeah, I thought about that too :-)  After pondering a little I decided Fxtv
was the was the wrong place to put it, and didn't have the time to
implement the (IMO) "right" solution.

That being, to have a "remoted" daemon that multiplexes remote events to
multiple clients.  That way you could share the remote between remote-aware
applications.  The remote clients would register with the remoted daemon
(rather than moused), and remoted would connect to moused.

One of those registered clients could be an application launcher, another
one (possibly spawned by the launcher) could be Fxtv.  Apps launched don't
necessarily need to be mouse aware (e.g. netscape, etc.).  Hot sequences on
the remote would allow you to "select" a registered client (which would
receive the bulk of the remote's key events while selected).

Really, this'd be cool.  Since these remotes work around 300Mhz and aren't
line-of-site, you could be in a separate room hitting remote buttons which
would fire off all kinds of tasks.  Say, fire up your ISP link and grab
your mail (which could play an audio file if you had any) or stock market
quotes, etc.  In your case, maybe play your voicemail for the day for you
and let you delete/save/proceed while you take care of other things.  Or
maybe fire off Fxtv and grab a cool pic while watching a movie on the big
TV in the other room.

Would be a fun project for someone that has the time :-)

Randall