Date:      Mon, 13 Jul 1998 22:40:37 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@narnia.plutotech.com>
To:        Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: TESTERS NEEDED: Softupdates looks Very good.

>> I've run a bunch of make world, make buildworld, make installworld,
>> make reinstall, kernel compilations, ports compilations. I installed
>
> Well, I ran "make world" with yesterday's sources and it succeeded without
> a problem during "installworld". Softupdates are now back on all
> partitions.
>
> Thanks to Kirk, Julian and all who made it working !

I'm still leary.  I built a successful release here overnight, but
noticing a few small bugs, I wanted to run it again.  So I decide to
test out soft updates to speed up the second build.  The machine
completely wedged a few hours into the process.  It seemed that
interrupts still worked (num lock toggled), but having left the
machine running X, I couldn't get into the debugger.  My guess is
some kind of resource shortage/loop at high spl.  I will try
to reproduce this with a serial console after I get this CAM
release out the door.  BTW, most of the I/O was going to an LVD
Cheetah drive which peaks out at ~19MB/s and ~260 tps, and certain
portions of make release will peg this disk.

--
Justin