Date:      Tue, 21 Jul 1998 14:59:53 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Peter van Heusden <pvh@leftside.wcape.school.za>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, Giao Nguyen <grail@sysabend.org>
Subject:   Re: Netscape Directory API port?

> I've just compiled the 19980531 version of the Netscape Directory API code
> (it compiles with one tiny change on FreeBSD 2.2.6) and am considering
> turning it into a port. A couple of questions, though:
>
> 1) Is anyone actively working on such a port already?

You will want to talk with Giao Nguyen <grail@sysabend.org> who is
carrying an LDAP torch at the moment.  I believe he's still working on
the Umich server port, which needs a million patches.  He ought to be
about ready with it though (*poke*).

> 2) Is anyone using the Directory API code? Are there any suggestions at to
> what should get installed where?

Not yet.  It would be nice to have one or the other available to
backend the get*by* stuff, but it would need to be a 'pluggable' thing
so that the system could run without it (take a look at the size of the
libraries to see what I mean).

> 3) The libraries for the Netscape stuff will clash with the UMich stuff.
> Anyone wanting to work with LDAP will probably want to have both hanging
> around, to have both an API, and a server (esp. if the UMich server
> gets upgraded along the lines people on this list have suggested). Any
> ideas about how the conflict should be resolved?

You'll have to pick a new name for one or the other of them.  I don't
know of any third-part apps on our radar currently that expect one or
the other to have a specific name, but the umich libraries came first,
so perhaps you should come up with another name for the netscape
library.  Maybe ask the Netscape people what they'd be recommending?