Date:      Tue, 21 Jul 1998 22:36:50 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jim Shankland <jas@flyingfox.com>
To:        ahd@kew.com, leec@adam.adonai.net
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: hacked and don't know why

"Lee Crites (ASC)" <leec@adam.adonai.net> writes:

> In my case, the bin directories (/bin, /sbin, /usr/bin,
> /usr/sbin, etc) were still there, just that every program was
> replaced with the exact same "dummy" program.  All were, as I
> recall, around 180k (exact same size with cmp showing no
> differences in any of them.  The funny thing is that ls did what
> ls was supposed to do, ps did what it was supposed to do, etc,
> even though they were the same size and cmp'd as identicle.

I *definitely* want to know how to squeeze every executable in
/bin, /sbin, /usr/bin, and /usr/sbin into one 180KB file.  I'll
bet Jordan would, too, if he hadn't foresworn working on sysinstall :-).

The symptoms you describe (not counting the blow to the head), as
well as Drew's, make me think "filesystem damage due to failing/flakey
hardware" before "security compromise."  Can't say for sure,
of course; and in both cases, the evidence is gone.  But I think
you may be jumping to conclusions a bit to assert, "We were hacked
like this two weeks ago."

Jim Shankland
Flying Fox Computer Systems, Inc.