Date:      Tue, 28 Jul 1998 07:35:23 -0500
From:      Karl Denninger  <karl@mcs.net>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Serious Dump problems

Hi folks,

I have an interesting one here...

I have a dump tape which is intact, yet restore complains about "hole in
map" and segv's when attempting to start up in interactive mode.

It appears that dump and restore are VERY old, and nobody is maintaining
them.  Interestingly enough, a new dump of the same filesystem produces
the same error, so I suspect a problem with dump where it is writing out a
bad directory map.

Any ideas on this one?  Is there a more recent set of sources available
somewhere that might not display this problem?

Needless to say, unrestorable tapes are not my idea of a good time!

Karl Denninger (karl@MCS.Net)| MCSNet - Serving Chicagoland and Wisconsin
http://www.mcs.net/          | T1's from $600 monthly / All Lines K56Flex/DOV