Date:      Sat, 01 Aug 1998 15:28:02 -0400
From:      "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
To:        Scott <scott@SchematiX.net>
Cc:        Nathan Dorfman <nathan@fcc.net>, Andrew Bromage <bromage@queens.unimelb.edu.au>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CD writers as a backup medium

> tapes may be 4GB, but most of them are extremely slow compared to a CD-R.
> Even some of the fastest tape drives aren't as fast as a 4x CD-R (last
> time i checked). Tape drives are also a lot more expensive and the tapes
> are EXTREMELY expensive. CD-R disk can be found for $1 or less if you have
> a rebate. Tapes for my TR1 drive (old; never in use anymore) are $30
> each...and i have 5 tapes for them. So it really comes down to how much
> money you have.

Sounds like you should have bought a DAT tape then.

A DDS-2 drive (without compression) has a 326 kByte/s transfer rate; this
will be somewhat larger if you've got compression enabled in the drive.  So
you'll have 4 GB uncompressed on a 90 meter tape and perhaps twice that
with compression enabled.

If this is large enough to hold your dump, then in some sense you don't
really care what the transfer rate is if you don't have to swap media.

I bought a reconditioned DDS-2 changer (that holds 4 or 12 tapes depending
on the magazine) for a bit less than $400.  Media is about $7-$12 depending
on what you find.

DDS-3 increases the capacity (and thus transfer rate) again.  I think the
media cost might be a wash between CD and DAT for bulk storage.  The CD
media is less clostly, but has a factor of about 3 or 4 less capacity.  The
DAT media is resuable - sure, you can get rewritable CD media, but now the
cost is considerably higher.

Clearly the Travan drives lose on a cost measure - the drives are cheap, but
you go broke buying the media.

louie