Date:      Sun, 9 Aug 1998 23:08:53 +1000
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        junkmale@xtra.co.nz
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: receiving mail directly

On Sun, Aug 09, 1998 at 10:48:57PM +1200, Dan Langille wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Here's a bunch of questions about my mail and how I'd like to receive it.

Dan, try sending this to freebsd-questions. We don't do questions and
answers in -newbies. You won't have to subscribe first, just send it
and ask for email copies of replies because you're not on the list.
That's normal. Your question looks pretty sensible to me, but if the
folk answering -questions need any more information they'll ask for it.

FWIW, my system rejects any mail sent to oldaddress@mydomain.com, and I
just use sendmail, but I wouldn't trust myself to figure out how it
works :-)

<slightly-off-topic> And many thanks for the help before with Pegasus
Mail. A few people have been grateful to receive your advice to use a
non-proportional font like courier to get the formatting to work right!
</slightly-off-topic>

> I have a permanent connection to my ISP via ADSL.  At present, all mail
> for my domains is delivered direct to my ISP.  I then download it with an
> email client.  One problem I have with my email is spam to old addresses
> which I no longer use but are part of my domain (eg. xyz@mydomain.com).
>
> What I would like to do is exercise more control over this situation.
> Specifically, mail addressed to dvl@mydomain.com to be bounced back to the
> sender, never to be seen my me again.  Similary, mail to dan@mydomain.com,
> I'd like to let through.
>
> I've read the stuff in the handbook (17.3.3. How can I do E-Mail with a
> dialup PPP host?
> http://www.au.freebsd.org/FreeBSD/handbook/handbook253.html#497) and that
> solution seems to apply to me.  That is, make my ISP a secondary server to
> myself.
>
> Does this make sense?
>
> Sendmail is up and running on my machine.  Mail sent to my freebsd box
> gets out into the realworld.  I'm guessing that what I need to do is
> install procmail, which is a local mail delivery agent.  Is that correct?
>
> How does procmail (incoming?) differ from sendmail (outgoing)?
>
> --
> Dan Langille
> DVL Software Limited
> http://www.dvl-software.com/freebsd : my [mis]adventures