Date:      Wed, 26 Aug 1998 01:42:28 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        wilko@yedi.iaf.nl (Wilko Bulte)
Cc:        joelh@gnu.org, dakott@alpha.delta.edu, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adaptec 1542i Performance on -stable [was Re: SCSI Controller]

> > Many 1542s (particularly the B series) were very sensitive to poor
> > cabling and termination problems.
>
> I think there were also cabling sensitivities in the C series(?).

Specifically, if you have a "B", and you enable the external SCSI
connector, you are required to attach an external SCSI terminator.

This goes for the 1742B, as well.

For the "C", you can look at the SCSI connector; if there is not a pull-up
resistor soldered in as an obvious ECN afterthought, then you must use
an external terminator as well, AND you will be unable to use both
the internal and external connectors for devices, simultaneously.

The "C" rev also broke "target mode" support; the controller will
support it, but it must have the pull-up, and the default ROMs
claim it is unsupported.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---