Date:      Thu, 27 Aug 1998 11:47:25 -0500
From:      "Steve Friedrich" <SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com>
To:        "flygt@sr.se" <flygt@sr.se>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: building ports thru a firewall

On Thu, 27 Aug 1998 17:15:37 +0200, Gunnar Flygt wrote:

>I wasn't arrogant towards you by saying NT sucks, more so to Bill $
>Gates. :-) I have to use NT daily in my work too, but for my home
>computing NT resides on my disk only so that my family can run Office.

It came across as the typical, arroganance that fanatics have about
their system, whether they be fanatics about Macs, Winblows, unix,
Solaris, etc.  One of the points I'm trying to make is that we live in
a diverse, pluralistic world.  I don't want to see Netscape as being
the only solution any more that Explorer.  I like a market teaming with
solutions.

>> Besides, some of these newer mailers have some really cool features,
>> even if your older mailer doesn't support them, such as html
>> formatting.  This is way cool.  Are you guys throwing stones at it
>
>I wouldn't say that mutt is an  older mailer  It's in continous
>development, but I agree to Greg Lehey when he says html is for web
>browsers, not for mail.

And I'm simply trying to say that you're ignoring a significant trend
in this industry.  Many people, other than you and Greg, like the idea
of someone sending them html formatted email.  It's damn convienient to
be able to click on a link within an email message.  I receive many
emails from this list with such links.  Welcome to the nineties, dude.
8o)

>> merely because your mailer doesn't support that feature ??  Shame on
>> you.  You remind me of senile citizens.
>
>> Instead of whining about the newest features, you should try to
>> incorporate these into unix programs and do them at least one better.
>
>Sorry! I don't understand.

You seem to be caught in a time warp.  You aren't interested in where
the majority are headed.  Html formatted email is not going away.  If
you don't like html formatted email, I'm telling you, you're in a
shrinking minority.  Look how popular the html formatted email is from
many of the large lists.

What I meant about the newest features, do them one better, was that
unix programmers should incorporate html capabilities within their
mailers too.  And see if you can add something in that vein, that will
cause the Winblows mailers to get jealous.

I have sent email to the PMMail team, and they are thinking about
porting to a unix platform.  I strongly suggested FreeBSD.  I hope
others will send email to them also.  I love free software, but I'm
ready, willing, and able to license reasonably priced shareware, that's
stable, really supported, and is competitively featured compared to
retail offerings.  I have bought Lotus and IBM products in the past,
only to have them not fix problems that I have emailed to them.  The
PMMail team actually fixes bugs that you email to them (features
actually get added too).