Date:      Fri, 18 Sep 1998 00:47:14 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, mike@smith.net.au, phk@critter.freebsd.dk, joelh@gnu.org, tom@uniserve.com, gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG, irc@cooltime.simplenet.com, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Download of FreeBSD 3.0-SNAP

> > That's a McCarthy "or", like "||".  If the first expression ("use mtree")
> > evaluates to true, then you don't have to "force the application to
> > optimise for the filesystem it's running on".
>
> Yeah, great.  Let's just "optimise", say, INN to call mtree.  And CVS.
> And cp, mv and friends.

cp -R does.  Do does mv across FS's.  INN is, by definition, bredth-first,
since there are significantly more articale transfers than news group
creation/deletions (unless you are silly and don't follow David Lawrence,
pain that he can be...).

> Crap.  The job of the filesystem is to provide optimal performance for
> typical application usage.  Why do you think UFS already has
> behavioural tweaks for small files?  Do you want to modify applications
> so they never create small files?

No.  I want a very deep directory tree that consists of directories
empty of anything other than directories that are empty of anything
other than directories ... that *finally* have files in them to be
created by an appropriate tool before the files are populated by
an inappropriate tool.

> You're pushing the application/filesystem boundary in the wrong
> direction, and your Clydesdale has a sore rear.

This bud's for you... 8-).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---