Date:      Fri, 18 Sep 1998 18:30:06 +0200
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        Thierry.Herbelot@alcatel.fr
Cc:        knollm@lafcol.lafayette.edu, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: lkm/cd9660

On Fri, Sep 18, 1998 at 05:44:36PM +0200, Thierry.Herbelot@alcatel.fr wrote:
> Hello,
>
> can this considered as a recent regression ? I haven't a precise memory
> of the times when I "buildworld"-ed -j 4 , but you can be sure there were
> some such times during july an august (on 2.2.6 Stable, then 2.2.7
> Stable).

It has never been really supported or fully functional.  There have
been times when low values for -j has worked, but this has been due to
"luck" - ie, the makefiles have never been really safe for -j.

There have been a lot of activity in -current (mostly due to Bruce
Evans) to fix these problems; we're attempting to support -j there.

> Nevertheless, the mere existence of "make world" should fill all of us
> with joy ;-).

:-)

> 	TfH
>
> PS : eivind, do you know if it will be possible to upgrade from source
> from 2.2.7-Stable to 3.0-Whatever (I imagine that the conversion to ELF
> will make it somewhat **involved**)

'make aout-to-elf' should work from 2.2.5 and upwards.  (Ie, if it
doesn't work, please yell - John Birrell put in a lot of effort to
make it work).

Eivind.