Date:      Mon, 5 Oct 1998 00:07:20 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, mike@smith.net.au, eivind@yes.no, alk@pobox.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: something is leaking

> > Try it before you comment.  You can't really argue with success.  As I
> > said, I've been unwilling to track it down.
>
> I don't know how you come to the conclusion that I haven't tried it,
> especially when I explicitly stated that I had.
>
> There is a hard limit on the amount of SYSV shared memory that can be
> allocated.  Even on systems without it enabled, Netscape still blows
> out to a ridiculous size, way beyond this value.

I can guarantee Netscape won't grow out of all proportion if you run
it on a machine other than the machine where the display is running,
since I and a number of collegues have been doing it this way for a
year or more without the crashes that everyone complains about.

If you can get the client to make a network rather than a POSIX
domain socket connection, you can get the same effect with a locally
run client.

The problem is managing disconnects, and tracking memory in use
by client rather than by socket.

Techincally, you could argue breakage in either libX or in the X
server, depending on what side of the fence your feet were hanging
over on any given day.

In any case, if you provide a resource tracking mechanism to distinguish
one program from another, the problem goes away.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.