Date:      Mon, 5 Oct 1998 22:48:49 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Viljo Hakala <vipe@terafox.fi>
Cc:        Anders <gollum@rdc.cl>, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: First Commands

On Monday,  5 October 1998 at 13:39:22 +0300, Viljo Hakala wrote:
>>> Haha, I've been using FreeBSD for a month now and I still havent used all
>>> of those commands :-).
>>
>> I've been using UNIX for 12 years now, and I still haven't used all
>> the commands.  Isn't it nice to have a system that you don't grow out
>> of?
>
> That's sad from one point of a view.

I don't see it.  Care to explain?

> You possibly can't grow out of OS variants such as unixes, because of the
> environment it provides. Efficient, maybe free, and an excellent
> platform for software develepment.

Agreed.

> I live with UNIX, and have been using such for 4 years and yet, I used all
> of the commands and more provided the system and packets in a period of
> one week.

Interesting.  What did you do with them?  Check out these man pages
(section 1, commands).  They're not all of them, just the ones that
don't immediately ring a bell with me:

  addftinfo bdes btreeop c2ph checknr cjpeg ckdist colldef compile_et
  crunchide ctm_dequeue ctm_rmail ctm_smail dbg djpeg file2c gcore
  genclass getNAME grolj4 h2ph h2xs htpasswd.1 idprio

(sorry, I got bored round i).  The point is, UNIX is a language.  Like
in English, you don't need to understand all the words until you find
yourself in a situation which requires them.

I do think I have a reasonable understanding of UNIX, but I don't
pretend to understand everything.

Greg