Date:      Tue, 6 Oct 1998 13:40:40 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, FreeBSD Chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: RMS on UDI

On Monday,  5 October 1998 at 21:58:12 -0600, Brett Glass wrote:
> At 12:03 PM 10/6/98 +0930, Greg Lehey wrote:
>
>> (moved to -chat)
>>
>> On Monday,  5 October 1998 at  9:13:29 -0700, Mike Smith wrote:
>>>
>>> Here's RMS and his own personal brand of FUD again, this time coming up
>>> with good reasons why UDI will make us all a cargo cult.  Actually, he
>>> doesn't talk about us at all, just those G-cattle.
>>>
>>> http://slashdot.org/articles/98/10/04/2211242.shtml
>>
>> Is this interesting?  rms is getting rather predictable.
>
> He's getting looney. In this tirade, he basically says that anything that
> would cause Linux to coexist or cooperate with non-GPLed software is
> e-vile.

Yup.  At the AUUG, he went up the Linux (sorry, GNU Linux) stands and
looked at their wares, finally walking away from Caldera and saying
that he now knew they were evil because they put GPL and non-GPL
software on the same CD.  Peter Wemm got quite concerned when I later
gave him a FreeBSD giveaway CD-ROM--take a look at
http://www.lemis.com/~grog/Images/Stallman-and-Wemm.jpeg, where
Peter's explaining the source code layout.  That's the giveaway CD-ROM
in Stallman's right hand.

> He also shows a lack of technical knowledge by claiming that using a
> UDI driver would involve statically linking it into the kernel.

That wasn't lack of technical knowledge.  He tends to make claims like
that.  Here's another (I hope he won't mind me quoting personal mail):

> From: rms@gnu.ai.mit.edu (Richard Stallman)
> To: grog@devnull
> Subject: Another gnu?
>
> I don't know how to post news.  So could you find the computergram
> address for me?

> Guys, we gotta pull FreeBSD out of its rut, if for no other reason than
> to provide an alternative to this lunacy.

Sorry, I don't understand.

Greg