Date:      Sun, 18 Oct 1998 23:17:04 -0400
From:      Nathan Dorfman <nathan@rtfm.net>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   3.0-R, CAM, and audio tracks

At first I thought this was a bug in tosha, or its lack of support
for my drive. It will read the TOC from an audio disc just fine,
but upon trying to read the audio data itself:

error returned from CD-DA read command:
(pass1:ahc0:0:2:0): READ(10). CDB: 28 0 0 0 0 20 0 0 a 0
(pass1:ahc0:0:2:0): ILLEGAL REQUEST asc:64,0
(pass1:ahc0:0:2:0): Illegal mode for this track

tosha also seems to forget to reset the drive to a sane status
because any subsequent CD audio attempts with cdcontrol(1) fail
with cdcontrol: /dev/cd0c: Invalid argument. I tried this with
both the tosha-0.5 port (most recent ports) and the
tosha-0.05-cam.980916.tar.gz on ftp.kdm.org. Both fail the same
way. This is a freshly installed 3.0-R system but the same
behavior is seen on a 2 week old -current. Anyway, what leads me
to think that this is a CAM problem as opposed to a tosha bug is
the following little quirk: I popped in the nearest data CD, which
happened to be the 2.2.1 live FS, and ran tosha -v -- to my great
am{az|us}ement it went right to work writing the pcm file.

It was suggested to me that CAM might have a problem with passthrough
for audio discs/tracks. Can anyone confirm/deny this? Anyone have
any other ideas?
--
  / Nathan Dorfman \  / "`IE4 brings the web to UNIX'? *laughing*