Date:      Mon, 19 Oct 1998 13:48:22 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vote:? reversion of BDE change please?

> A while ago bruce changed config(8) to not create the prototypes of
> the interrupt handlers in the generated file ioconf.h.
>
> I don't understand his reasoning but it causes me quite a bit of grief.
> He now has the rather odd idea that all device drivers should have their
> interrupt handlers prototyped in isa_device.h. How isa_device.h is
> supposed to know about al existing 3rd party drivers is apparenlty left as
> an exercise for the reader....
>
> This is 'odd' in my opinion because that means that if i want to
> add a device driver I need to edit isa_device.h and add an entry for it.
> I think this goes in the oposite direction from being able to add drivers
> easily to the system.

The change is actually in the right direction, as the goal is to remove
the prototypes from global scope completely.  Instead, ISA device
drivers should register their interrupt handlers at attach time.  I
don't know if there's an example of this at the present time.

> Particularly I'd like to know if it breaks tha alpha port, or
> the new device framework?
> As it is now it certainly breaks several automatic build processes I know
> of (including the /usr/share/examples/drivers scripts)

IMHO, the followup changes have been too slow coming.  The new bus
framework should completely obsolete interrupt handler prototypes,
which may explain the pedestrian pace of the followups.