Date:      Mon, 26 Oct 1998 12:51:33 -0500
From:      Christopher Masto <chris@netmonger.net>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Shells for you and shells for me

Just keep the damn /bin/sh we have now.  Who actually uses it as their
login shell?  Nobody.  It's there to write /bin/sh scripts, which by
their very nature should be FreeBSD-specific or else extremely
lowest-common-denominator.  If there are bugs affecting the latter,
they can be fixed.  Do people really want better "sh compatability"?
I don't think that's what this is about.  I think the semiconscious
desire is to have tab completion in single-user mode, which is not at
all related to compatability for sh scripts.

My only problem with the sh we have now is that weird signal-handling
thing that, IIRC, got fixed and then unfixed because of side effects.
The only time I run into compatability problems is when I'm installing
some Linux thing that mistakenly uses a bash feature in an sh script.

Personally, I use zsh, weenie that I am.
--
Christopher Masto        Director of Operations  S   NetMonger Communications
chris@netmonger.net        info@netmonger.net   SSS  http://www.netmonger.net