Date:      Tue, 10 Nov 1998 07:23:00 -0500
From:      Timothy J Luoma <public+FreeBSD@fdt.net>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X desktop contest? + Desktop Env

	Author:	Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
	Date:	Tue, 10 Nov 1998 09:04:36 +1100
	ID:	<19981110090436.07651@welearn.com.au>

> The one and only essential is the up arrow for command history,
> and I reckon that's the real reason why many of new installers
> wish it had bash. All the other shell features can go jump for
> the first few months, but command history is essential and csh
> doesn't cut it, not by a long shot.

Tab-completion saves many many keystrokes and typos.

Being able to move to the left&right along the current line is very nice.

Being able to write a function at the commandline is quite helpful.

Those are reasons why sh isn't enough for me, and why zsh is the default
shell on my NeXTStep machines.

TjL