Date:      Sun, 13 Dec 1998 10:18:02 +1100 (EST)
From:      John Birrell  <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
To:        des@flood.ping.uio.no (Dag-Erling Smorgrav)
Cc:        jb@FreeBSD.ORG, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.ORG, cvs-all@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/etc Makefile

Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
> John Birrell <jb@FreeBSD.ORG> writes:
> >   Log:
> >   Back out revs 1.181 and 1.182 which upset a few people. I hope those
> >   (3?) people will make an effort to help those who would have benefitted from
> >   this change.
>
> Nobody benefited from these patches (especially not revision 1.181).

OK, be picky. Sheesh. Sure, I messed that up for one of the build cases.
Anybody who hasn't done an installworld since the PAM features were
added would have benefitted.

> What *would* be useful is a patch that finds missing files and warns
> about them.

But that won't meet the requirements of those who say that missing files
is a normal case. Committing such a change will generate just as many
emails from people who don't like _that_.

I believe that an installworld should unconditionally install missing files
that are unconditionally built into the release, just so that people are kept
up-to-date as new features are added. But hey, it's not such a big deal
to me, I was just trying to make an improvement. I misjudged the
acceptability of what still seems to me to be a worthwhile thing to
do. No harm done - I just won't waste any more time on this issue.

--
John Birrell - jb@cimlogic.com.au; jb@freebsd.org http://www.cimlogic.com.au/
CIMlogic Pty Ltd, GPO Box 117A, Melbourne Vic 3001, Australia +61 418 353 137