Date:      Sun, 13 Dec 1998 11:49:29 +0300 (MSK)
From:      "Cyril A. Vechera" <cyril@main.piter.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG, toasty@home.dragondata.com
Subject:   Re: sendmail morons

> From owner-freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG Sun Dec 13 09:35:56 1998
> From: Kevin Day <toasty@home.dragondata.com>
> Subject: sendmail morons
> To: freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
> Date: Sun, 13 Dec 1998 00:03:44 -0600 (CST)
>

> Somehow, we're on some spam software's list of open relays, I think. We
> aren't open to relaying, but people sure try.
>
> I'm guessing this is a bug in the software, but... when it can't relay, it
> leaves the connection open, then goes and tries again, and again.....
>
> I'll end up with hundreds of these sometimes.. They timeout in 15-20 mins,
> but my server is thrashing so badly at that point, it's unusable.
>
> Anyone see this? Anyone know what I can do?
>
> Sendmail is almost always sitting in 'cmd read' or 'child wait'.
try to run ipltd with limitation of packet not bytes,
reasonable enough to set buffer size about 10 packets and
and say ipltd to limit about 1 packet per second. others ones are to be
buffered.
and set up ipfw-divertion with rules something like

ipfw add {proper_number} divert ipltd tcp from any to my_sendmail_host smtp setup