Date:      Sun, 13 Dec 1998 07:25:42 -0800
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <cschuber@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        Frank Tobin <ftobin@bigfoot.com>
Subject:   Re: Limiting which users can login via xdm

In message <Pine.BSF.4.05.9812112340570.3250-100000@isr3277.urh.uiuc.edu
k Tobin writes:
> I was wondering if there was a way to limit access to xdm according to
> users.  A major reason I'd like to be able to do this is that it could
> ensure that I could keep track of logins to xdm that are done remotely.
> Can one get xdm to use login(1), and consequently, check access via
> /etc/login.access?

Xdm's Xsession script could be modified to limit who has access to xdm.
 Xdm sets the USER and LOGNAME environment variables, which could be
used to verify the user's identity.  Alternatively you could get the
user's identity from id or whoami.

Open Systems Group          Internet:  cschuber@uumail.gov.bc.ca
ITSD                                   Cy.Schubert@gems8.gov.bc.ca
Government of BC