Date:      Mon, 28 Dec 1998 18:42:41 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
Cc:        hm@hcs.de, yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp, mike@smith.net.au, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: future of syscons

Soren Schmidt wrote:
> It seems Hellmuth Michaelis wrote:
> > >From the keyboard of Kazutaka YOKOTA:
> > =

> > > Not much has been designed or decided about terminal emulation code=

> > > yet.  I have just a vague idea that the terminal emulator code shal=
> > > write to the vty's internal buffer, rather than directly to the
> > > screen, and a timer routine will periodically render it to screen.
> > > =

> > > Let's work together in designing this, shall we?
> > =

> > Yes, i'd like to participate in this effort to be able to move the pc=
vt
> > functionality to this new design!
> =

> Great, I'm very glad to hear that, and welcome in the comitter team !!

Hey, this sounds rather interesting! :-)

This sounds like a mini curses-like arrangement, except that there is no =

need for cursor move optimization.

What would make it really *really* interesting would be if it were =

possible to mmap() the virtual buffer and draw directly into it from user=
 =

mode, thus bypassing terminal emulation altogether...

Cheers,
-Peter