Date:      Tue, 29 Dec 1998 02:59:47 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@hotjobs.com>
Cc:        Pat Barron <pat@transarc.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: So, exactly what *was* purged?

Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Dec 1998, Pat Barron wrote:
>
> > I know someone asked this, but I have not seen an answer:  Could someone
> > provide a list of exactly what was purged?  It would be handy to know
> > things like, "this was purged, and is absolutely *not* coming back", or
> > "this was purged, but is being considered for reinstatement", but what I
> > really want to know is *exactly* what is now (today) gone, that used to be
> > there.
>
> voxware, lkms, vinum(an lkm)

 - DSI_SOFT_MODEM
 - bqu driver
 - 3c505 (note, *NOT* 3c905)
 - pcvt
 - broken (not updated for CAM) scsi drivers:   nca, sea, wds, uha
 - ft
 - wcd (use acd instead)
 - voxware
 - lkm building (all lkm's have a corresponding kld)

The vinum KLD module was accidently broken - it shared it's sources with
the LKM.

And 10 points to the first person who can tell me what 'bqu' was without
looking it up. :-)

> voxware may come back, vinum is definetly coming back as kld

The jury is out on pcvt and voxware..  My feeling is that there's more than
enough support for both to revive them.

Vinum is already fixed (I hope), and should also now support being
compiled into the kernel ("pseudo-device vinum") as well.

> basically klms which have been deemed bad by -core are gone, as well as
> voxware.

LKM's have been deemed sub-optimal by just about everyone.  We are in a
situation where the KLD system is a superset of LKM's and it's a lot of
work duplicating effort to keep LKM's working.  LKM's are a.out only while
KLD's are a.out and ELF, and both formats work on either format kernel..
KLD's work with DDB, KLD's can be auto-loaded by the kernel (and are
already for filesystems).

While I'd have liked the LKM retirement to be a little more peaceful and
with more warning, I'm not all that sad that support has gone for
building new LKMs that have already got *working* KLD equivalents.  I for
one would like to remove kernel support for LKM's as well.

Cheers,
-Peter
--
Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>   Netplex Consulting