Date:      Wed, 30 Dec 1998 20:54:00 -0700
From:      "Russell L. Carter" <rcarter@pinyon.org>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>, mrcpu@internetcds.com (Jaye Mathisen), current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New aout-to-elf build failures.

> > People aren't sufficiently committed to keeping the upgrade process in
> > working order. It's now broken in several ways. Looks like a binary
> > upgrade is the only feasible option. Sigh.

[...]

> I would of course love to see the aout-to-elf target continue to work
> in this migration process but I can only go after the /boot problems,
> which I have a few ideas on (mostly copying stuff into there on a.out
> systems using the contents of /usr/mdec).  If more than this is broken,
> I suggest tugging on the sleeves of those responsible and asking them
> how we're going to get everyone forcefully migrated to ELF on the 6th
> of Jan if there's no real mechanism for the -current folks to do it.

First: I agree with the sentiments entirely.  Second:  Why not start
shouting now, with a HEADSUP storm converging on Jan 6 to get people
off their butts?  I started my aout-to-elf process on the three work
systems I maintain for orthogonal reasons, but it has still taken
a couple of weeks (as a background process)
to move three operational systems providing important
(but not mission critical) services more or less transparently to
elf.  Including sorting through the aout-vs-elf bugs which are
the start of this thread.

It's another danes with axes kinda problem, and communication helps.
Ignore the whiners who would rather type than switch.

Russell