Date:      Thu, 31 Dec 1998 14:24:44 -0000
From:      "Paolo Di Francesco" <paipai@tin.it>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Read this...

> So why not buy an older SPARC, for far less money, and work on that?
> Much of what you learn will be portable to the UltraSPARC system later
> on, and these machines are fantastically reliable.

1) We are starting now with the kernel. Maybe in late 1999 we'll have
something working on Ultra. So what will be developed now will be used
in the Y2K. I don't think that to develop on an old sparc is so
exciting. 8)

2) For old sparc there is Linux, but on Ultra there is less support.

3) I don't know anyone who wants to sell his/her old sparc. So it's
easier to buy a new one than and old sparc (ridicolous, but it's the
situation...)

4) If Sun will give us some form of "support" I will develop on Ultra.
Otherwise I will reconsider the "old sparc"....

_Personally_ I think Sun could give us the new architecture for the
"old sparc" price. I don't pretend to have hardware for free, but for a
good price. From their point of view they make a good investment :they
have a new developer working on Ultra/FreeBSD. From my point of view
it's a good investment 'cause I can develop on something new (and use
the new istruction set sparc V9 )

> When Dayna Communications was "assimilated" into the Intel intranet in
> January of this year, they retired their DNS and mail server, which was
> a SPARCstation SLC manufactured in 1990.  When it was shutdown, it had
> been up for over 200 days, because it had been neglected since the Intel
> acquisition.  Before that, the engineer in charge of it would reboot it
> twice a year, on Dec 24 and July 3, "just to be safe."  ;^)

8))

Ciao Ciao
       Paolo Di Francesco
   _