Date:      Thu, 31 Dec 1998 16:56:19 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        green@unixhelp.org
Cc:        mark@grondar.za, donegan@quick.net, scrappy@hub.org, dcs@newsguy.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: Postfix is coming. new uid, gid required.

> Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 19:16:34 -0500 (EST)
> From: Brian Feldman <green@unixhelp.org>
> On Thu, 31 Dec 1998, Mark Murray wrote:
>
> > 1) Vastly easier to configure :-). (Very valid for newbies).
> > 2) A heck of a lot more efficient. Sendmail is designed to work;
> >    this is designed to work _fast_.
> > 3) More secure. The author is security-paranoid. This is good.
> > 4) So far (apart from myself) I have seen no rumblings at all
> > about removing Sendmail.
>
> After seeing all these points, I'm yet to see why not to use exim instead. It's
> a wonderful MTA!

  exim is GPL.  (stated explicitly at http://www.exim.org)

  if i remember correctly, whenever possible FreeBSD strives to use
  tools that are either under Berkeley copyright, or as close to
  Berkely copyright as possible.

  qmail has different license terms.
  (quoted from ftp://koobera.math.uic.edu/www/qmail/dist.html)

	If you want to distribute modified versions of qmail
	(including ports, no matter how minor the changes are) you'll
	have to get my approval. This does not mean approval of your
	distribution method, your intentions, your e-mail address,
	your haircut, or any other irrelevant information. It means a
	detailed review of the exact package that you want to
	distribute.

  an exception clause allows us to port qmail, if and only if, we
  port dot-forward-0.71.tar.gz, fastforward-0.51.tar.gz, and
  qmail-1.03.tar.gz.  we must not break these out into separate parts.

  the FreeBSD post of qmail seems to be in violation of the above
  restriction.  the port fetch qmail-1.03 only.  i will notify the
  maintainer.  perhaps this restrictin was added after the port was
  created.

  Postfix license requires that IF you provide "any feedback,
  including materials, error corrections, Software Derivatives,
  enhancements, suggestions and the like" to IBM then "You grant IBM a
  world-wide, royalty-free right to use, copy, distribute, sublicense
  and prepare derivative works".

  IF you dont provide it to IBM, they have no claim to your work.

jmb