Date:      Sun, 24 Jan 1999 17:45:14 -0800 (PST)
From:      Sean Eric Fagan <sef@kithrup.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: USB drivers

In article <199901241256.NAA25980.kithrup.freebsd.hackers@freebsd.dk> you write:
>Do you have any pointers for cheap cameras ?? I just bought a USB
>color cam for US$60...

I have a project I would like to do (and write an article about for the
freebsd newsletter) for which I need a camera.  I could use my digital camera,
since I have software to deal with that -- but the camera uses flash memory to
store the pictures, and I don't want to write to it that often (it is
non-replaceable, so the camera has to last the 2-3 years I expect it to take
for the next generation to drop to the price I paid for this one).

The cheapest NTSC-out camera I know of would be a refurbished Vivitar digital
camera from Fry's, which goes on sale periodically for $80-$99; however, the
video capture board would be another $100 or so.  Contrast this with the cost
of a Logitech QuickCam Pro -- $149.  Or the cost of a Connectix QuikCam VC --
under $70, I believe.

I had hoped to get a camera through Jordan and the FreeBSD project (there is
apparantly a connectix quikcam, colour and B&W, floating around, but I've
given up on them coming my way).  If there is support for USB color cam's, I'd
dearly love to know about it...