Date:      Mon, 25 Jan 1999 15:24:41 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        dmaddox@conterra.com
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>, Tom Torrance <freebsd@tomqnx.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RELENG_3 boot panic

> > > Sorry to reply to my own message, but I just realized that I added
> > > root_disk_unit at the same time I added num_ide_disks, and _that_
> > > is the one that is required now.  Before num_ide_disks was 'deprecated',
> > > I needed neither of these.
> >
> > You either haven't rebuilt your loader, or you should be supplying us
> > with more information.
> >
> > Please ensure your sources are up to date, rebuild the loader, and if
> > you're still having trouble, consider offering us a little relevant
> > detai.
>
> This was after building a new kernel, followed by a full 'make world'.
>
> Actually, I am not 'having trouble'...  I just find that after my
> 'make world' of 24 Jan, root_disk_unit is REQUIRED, or the boot will
> fail when trying to mount my / partition.  Before, it worked just
> fine with no hints at all.  The root partition is on the second IDE
> disk in a system with 2 IDE disks and 1 SCSI disk.  I have found also
> that the / partition is mounted sucessfully if I specify it as /dev/wd1a
> instead of /dev/wd1s1a, even in the absence of root_disk_unit.

I'm telling you that this constitutes "having trouble". 8)
$root_disk_unit should only be required if you have a discontinuity in
the chain of devices from bios disk 0x80 to your root device.

It would help *immensely* if you were a little forthcoming with eg.
what it is that you have to set $root_disk_unit to.  Also, as I've
tried to make clear here, changing the /etc/fstab entry for / is
*WRONG* and if you find yourself having to do this it's because
something is screwed elsewhere.

Again, please *ensure* that your loader is fully up to date.  So far
everyone that's reported problems has been using an out-of-date loader.