Date:      Fri, 29 Jan 1999 04:06:32 -0800 (PST)
From:      asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi Asami)
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        grog@lemis.com, FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The future of a.out support?

 *    Yes, a.out execution support will be standard in FreeBSD for at least
 * several more years. At some point it may become an option, but that's a
 * long way off.
 *    The only thing people are talking about is support for building the
 * system binaries in a.out. We're moving to ELF because at some point our
 * "make world" source build system, not to mention the compiler toolchain,
 * will no longer support building a.out binaries.

That sounds fine.  However, there are still people stuck with a.out
libraries out there (netscape comes to mind).  Is the 3.1R installer
going to include a.out libraries as an option?

Satoshi