Date:      Tue, 23 Feb 1999 21:43:50 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        jkh@zippy.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        jackv@earthling.net, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCO revamps UnixWare with Linux features

> I don't know whether you just took a wrong turn on your way to the
> gents or something, but this is not the linux-advocacy list.  By the
> logic(?) I see being displayed in your own selections, we might just
> as well start posting Microsoft's NT press releases here since NT is
> obviously the bigger competitor.

I think that NT isn't getting as much press as Linux, or he would.

Basically, I view Jack's postings as "here's an advocacy project".

> If I want to read Linux press announcements, and I more than
> occasionally do, I'll subscribe to the APPROPRIATE mailing list for
> that purpose (hint: it's run by an organization called "Linux
> International" not "The FreeBSD Project).
>
> So please, knock it off.

I think a WWW page linking the releases would be more useful,
with posts about updates to the page.

On the other hand, this would probably take more effort than the
current method, and so might fend Jack off from helping advocacy
in what way he can -- a mistake, IMO.

My take on the postings:

They are a call for people doing similar things with FreeBSD to
step forward and contact the press with the information.  Many
FreeBSD people can't believe what gets published about Linux.

As you yourself said at the last BAFUG meeting, the press will
pretty much publish anything; they are very hungry for content.
But your saying this, and Jack demonstrating it at a visceral
level are two very different things.  I find Jack's stuff much
more motivating, as in "write something like this", as opposed
to "write anything, I don't know what".

My two cents worth, anway.

I think it's unreasonable to expect the postings on an advocacy
list to not be.  8-).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---