Date:      Fri, 5 Mar 1999 03:04:26 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        dwilde1@thuntek.net (Donald Wilde)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: freebsd supported

> > PS: WinICE is what FreeBSD's kernel debugged could be if it grew up.
>
> Dammit, Terry, instead of making snide remarks, why don't you go bug
> Intel for the undocumented register info and MAKE the debugger work that
> well!

ICEBP is well documented, both in "The Undocumented PC", and in the
various MindShare x86 Architecture books.

I can't do the work for FreeBSD until it adopts GGI, and supports ELF
sections other than merely "BSS", "code", and "data" in the KLD and in
the boot loader.

The GGI people have been looking for someone (with commit priviledges,
obviously) to do a FreeBSD port, and have gone so far as to put the
kernel pieces of their predominantly Linux project *in the public domain*.

Contingent on these changes, the code would have to be committed to
FreeBSD proper if the changes were not made.

I'd be happy to do what is, in effect, severable code, once the GGI
and section support goes in, since then I wouldn't have to worry
about it being committed, since it could be simply a KLD.

So back at you: you want applications developement, then provide the
interfaces for application developement.  I'm not going to do code
that can be vetoed; I've tried that before, and it doesn't work.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.