Date:      Wed, 31 Mar 1999 11:49:53 -0500
From:      Chip Marshall <cmarshall@expi.com>
To:        Bertrand Petit <elrond@phoe.netdev.net>
Cc:        freebsd-small@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MP3 playing PicoBSD

On Tue, Mar 30, 1999 at 01:56:15PM +0200, Bertrand Petit wrote:
> 	The difficult part in this project is the hardware. As the aim
> is to build an audio playing unit, the harware must be conceived such
> that there is no need for cooling at all. Could modern processors be
> underclocked enough so that no fan is required? Maybe a big heat sink
> could do. The power source also must bear the absence of fan.

These points were brought up in Fromme's discussion of the project,
and I believe that a low-end AMD K5 would provide enough power to
decode MP3, but not generate all the much heat.  Also, since the only
things in the box are the mboard, CD-ROM, and a sound card (and maybe
an ether card) a very small power supply would do. But these are
pretty much the same conclusions that Fromme came to, only I think his
plan was with a Pentium 90.

> 	Another big issue is the digital to analogue converter. One
> could not use average PC soundcard as they are poorly shielded if
> shielded at all. I think the lambda sound cards rate as low-fi.

I hadn't really given much thought to this. I was just planning on
using an old SB16 I had lying around. It there a way to improve
shielding on these?

--
Chip Marshall <cmarshall@expi.com>
Exploration Physics International, Inc.  Internet Technology Programmer