Date:      Wed, 26 May 1999 13:55:35 +0200
From:      Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org>
To:        Jamie Bowden <ragnar@sysabend.org>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Quake2

In <owner-freebsd-multimediaATFreeBSD.ORG--Pine.BSF.3.96.990525144755.8079A-100000@beelzebubba.sysabend.org>, Jamie Bowden wrote:

> I got the quake3 arena demo running a while ago, and figured since I owned
> a copy, it would be cool to get quake2 up and running, and bench it
> against win98.  Well, I can run it in software mode in a window, but it's
> only rendered on half the window (the right half is black).

Wrong color depth.

> When I try to
> run it in 3dfx opengl mode, X switches modes, but my screen goes black,
> and recovery isn't always an option.

Sound like you're using the Mesa that come with quake2. Use the one
from ports/emulator/linux_mesa. Shut down X before you start Quake2.

> I have a Canopus Pure3d2 12M VooDoo2
> card, and am Running 3.2-RELEASE.  I also went ahead and created a
> libvga.conf file, and tried running it in console mode.  It starts on a
> console, except the console is black, with a solid block cursor in the
> upper left corner, still in 80x24 character mode.  Any clues?

Also make sure you have the patched libvga from
ports/emulators/linux_libs-2.6 or higher, not a native Linux one.

See my usenet postings for more info.

Martin
--
Martin Cracauer <cracauer@bik-gmbh.de> http://www.bik-gmbh.de/~cracauer/