Date:      Thu, 24 Jun 1999 15:46:40 -0700
From:      "Justin C. Walker" <justin@apple.com>
To:        mjacob@feral.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: System unique identifier.....

> From: Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
> Date: 1999-06-24 15:03:56 -0700
> To: freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
> Subject: System unique identifier.....
>

> I was talking about this on linux-kernel, but it also applies to
*BSD...

> What're folks' motions of a settable system unique identifier,
available
> prior to mountroot? This identifier has to be 64 bits or better
and must
> be persistent across reboots.
   This could start a long discussion :-}.

Some systems just take the IEEE MAC address from the motherboard, or
that of the first interface it finds.  Others use some algorithmic
variation on that value, but it generally boils down to the same
thing.  For newer Intel boxes, you could just use the CPU chip...
well, never mind.

The main issue, I think, is that of persistence.  How persistent do
you want it?  I'd bet that no matter what source you use, there's
always the problem of "it broke; I had to replace it; now what?".
Kind of like your grandfather's axe, which has had six handles and
two blades over its lifetime, but it's still your grandfather's axe.

Regards,

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-At-Large *