Date:      Sun, 17 Oct 1999 16:57:09 +1000 (EST)
From:      atrn@zeta.org.au
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: keyboards

Chuck Robey wrote:
> only point on this hugely blown up thing where individual dots could be
> discerned was in the area where a slightly off-white was being produced by
> dithering; over than that, it could *easily* be taken for a photograph,
> with only continuous shading.

Great.  Various people in labs around the world will be very happy to
hear that.  The sales critters would be even happier (but luckily I
don't know any of them :)

> I want to know which Canon model *ISN'T* one of those Windows things with
> the brains in the driver only ...

AFAIK there's none where the printer has sufficient "brains" to achieve
the results you saw.  But don't trust me on this as I haven't tried
anything myself.  The Windows driver performs the work of producing the
color data for the printer and this step is complex, requiring knowledge
of the physical structure of the head, the properties of the media and
ink, etc... (humidity and the water content of the media also play a
role).  All those settings available in the print dialogue actually
make a real difference.  The cost of the printers is kept down by not
having enough CPU or memory to perform the task.  The situation is
(only) a little different than the WinModems in that the printers can
operate without the proprietary driver although their functions are
usually limited, e.g., relative poor color output or black & white only
- enough of the command set is available to implement these or the
printer emulates something that people know about.  I'd look in one of
the printer-related newsgroups or comp.lang.postscript to find out
which model is working the best.

The tasks of generating high quality, photo-like, output is very
important these days and many of the techniques are patented or
kept as trade secrets.  The rise of digital photography has made
this a very competitive area.  All the manufacturers are producing
great printers.  As long as you use the recommended expensive media with
the new-ish models that use six or seven colors you should be able to
get good output (from Windows [sigh]).

> I'm looking for a Canon model that's well supported by one of the
> ghostscript drivers.

To the best of my knowledge there are none that are driven by
Ghostscript that can achieve the photo quality provided by the Windows
driver.  The necessary information simply isn't available.  Even if it
were the production of a suitable driver may infringe patents or take a
long time to get right.  Printing is more difficult than many people
appreciate.  When I first encountered it (having worked in the TV
graphics field) I was amazed at the problems that need to be solved to
get good output (and luckily didn't have to work on them - I'm more
into networking and operating systems than the fine details of the
printing process).

I wish it weren't so.  As I have no Windows machines I can't use my
employer's products to their best potential and haven't bothered
getting any.  I use an old Toshiba LaserJet clone for my printing
needs (mainly because it was free).

And to keep this on topic... Don't get keycaps or anything, get a real
keyboard!  I use original PC/AT keyboards - control key in the right
place, proper space bar, function keys on the left, big enter key,
weighs a ton so it doesn't move and noisy as hell to annoy anyone else
nearby.  I can type about 20% faster on them than the generic rubbish
keyboards you get with machines these days.  The only problem with it is
that it doesn't reset correctly at boot time with FreeBSD - it spits out
'-''s until I hit return.  I boot so infrequently* I haven't bothered to
figure out why (the flags mentioned in the man pages didn't seem to do
anything)  BTW the Linux box at work with a similar keyboard operates
correctly so I guess I should swap the keyboards to see if it's
something to do with the one I've got at home.

* The power supply in my main machine died the other day which forced me
  to, (a) replace it (bloody power switch position forced me to take the
  entire motherboard out, goddam PC's) and, (b) boot for the first time
  in three months  (okay, so I haven't "install world"'d for 3.3 yet).

--
Chuck Berry lied about the promised land