Date:      Fri, 14 Feb 2014 08:24:27 +0000
From:      David Chisnall <theraven@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
Cc:        John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Core Team <core@freebsd.org>, Niclas Zeising <zeising@freebsd.org>, ray@freebsd.org, "freebsd-x11@freebsd.org" <x11@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: NEW_XORG and vt(4) in stable branches

On 14 Feb 2014, at 02:12, Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm just slightly confused by this. I am unaware of any reason that =
the use of NEW_XORG requires vt(4). KMS certainly does, but NEW_XORG =
should not, as far as I can tell. At least it does not on my system. I =
do believe that NEW_XORG will break some really old graphics cards, but =
I don't see how vt(4) will help this.
>=20
> Am I missing something?
>=20
> And I am very anxious to see vt(4) merged into 9 and 10, but I don't =
see how it impacts moving to NEW_XORG as default.

KMS is required for several of the new drivers.  Without KMS, NEW_XORG =
means Intel GPUs can only use VESA (the same is true for radeon, but the =
old radeon driver doesn't work at all with newer cards so it's not as =
much of a regression).  With KMS and without vt(4), starting X means =
losing consoles.  The only way to introduce NEW_XORG without introducing =
feature regressions is to have vt(4).  This is why we asked the =
Foundation to fund the vt(4) work.

David