Date:      Tue, 8 Jan 2013 21:21:58 -0000
From:      sib@tormail.org
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org, multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   VLC/X264 and GCC

Hello.

While installing VLC on a 9.1 i386 system, I noticed when it was building
X264 that it was calling GCC.. so I removed USE_GCC=any from that Makefile
and it built fine with clang. Has there been some trouble with it? Can we
remove that line from the port?

I am currently also trying to figure out why VLC itself won't build with
clang, but pulls in lang/gcc for some CPU features (as I saw in the
makefile) .. hopefully that can be fixed. Compiling gcc is not a fast
task.

- simon